Irish coffee is a famous drink all over the world to enjoy after a meal. To make the perfect Irish coffee requires skill. With only four ingredients, it is not as easy to make as you think. It is a time consuming drink, so one must be patient when ordering an Irish coffee in a bar or restaurant! It’s worth the wait!!
History of Irish Coffee
A young Irish chef known as Joe Sheridan invented the drink in Foynes, Co. Limerick in 1943. Sheridan was working at the restaurant in Foynes flying boat terminal at that time when a flight to New York had to return to the Foynes terminal as a result of bad weather. Staff members of the restaurant, including Sheridan, were asked to prepare hot food and drinks for the returning passengers. Sheridan thought of the idea to put Irish whiskey into their coffees. He then added brown sugar and topped it with pouring cream. Irish people haven’t looked back since!
1 shot of Irish whiskey
2 espresso shots
1-2 tsp. brown sugar
Whipped pouring cream
Crucial Steps to Making an Irish Coffee
- First heat a glass by pouring boiling water into it, making sure to put a teaspoon in so the glass doesn’t crack. This keeps the glass hot so that the coffee stays warmer for longer.
- Add the brown sugar first.
- Then add the shot of Irish whiskey.
- Add the coffee and stir until the sugar has fully dissolved. Check the bottom of the glass to make sure the sugar is gone!
- The next step is to add the cream. This is a very important part when making an Irish Coffee because if the cream is too stiff it will sink! The idea is to have the cream floating on top, so whisk the pouring cream until it loses its runny consistency but DO NOT over whisk!!!
- Turn a soup spoon upside down and hold it so that the tip of the spoon is touching the top of the coffee and the edge of the glass.
- Slowly pour the cream on top of the spoon. It should float on top of the coffee if the cream is whisked right!
- Add two or three coffee beans on top for decoration and ENJOY!
Learn how to make an Irish Coffee on our Irish Food Trail Dublin Experience Tour.